Establishment of the Museum
Gwydir Shire Council purchased the building when the church decided through lack of parishioners that they would sell the building. The Society approached the Council requesting that the 100 year old building be preserved for a museum.
Snippets of Gravesend’s History
By Graham Wilson
Gravesend was created as a village by transport and proclaimed a village in 1911. The Warialda Standard, 2 October 1911 announced that ‘Atkin Hill’ was to be subdivided at Warialda Railway. The Department of Lands altered the design of Gravesend by extending the village and suburban limits in 1915. The proclamation was gazetted on 16 December 1915. In October 1917 fifty-nine allotments in the village were offered for sale. In April 1936 the Gravesend Progress Association discussed the tarring of the main street. In 1971 Gravesend obtained water from a bore in the bed of the Gwydir River.
Email: Fay Cains firstname.lastname@example.org